Office Closing NoticeThe Louisa County Voter Registration office will closed on Wednesday, July 21, 2017 in order to attend state training.
§ 24.2-411. Office of the general registrar.
The general registrar may close the office of the general registrar (i) for off-site training purposes for no more than four consecutive or cumulative days each year, provided that notice of the closure is posted on the official website of the county or city and in no fewer than two public places at least 72 hours before such closure, and (ii) quarterly to provide training in the office for a period not to exceed four hours without providing notice. However, no closure permitted by clause (i) or clause (ii) shall occur (a) within the seven days immediately preceding and immediately following an election, (b) during the period for absentee voting required by subsection A of § 24.2-701, (c) on the final registration day pursuant to § 24.2-414, or (d) on a deadline specified in the Campaign Finance Disclosure Act of 2006 (§ 24.2-945 et seq.).
To be eligible to register to vote in Virginia a person must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (A person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years old (Any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election.)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
Online Voter Registration
Apply online to register to vote or update your current registration. You can also download the Virginia Voter Registration Application (PDF).
Did You Know
- If you have moved since you last voted, you need to register at your current address to assure your vote will count.
- It's a good idea for everyone to check their registration status. Just to be sure, call the Registrar's Office at 540-967-3427
- If you need to register or update your registration download the Virginia Voter Registration Application (PDF).
- Check your polling place online.